Home Page | Forum | Downloads | About us | Services | Products | Online Portal | Site Map | Contact Us

motorola
November 18, 2019, 06:37:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Contact Admin Team Search Login Register  

Radio Services

Supply Radios, Spare Parts, Programming Cables, Flash Adapters

Members area provides radio programming videos

If we have helped you, please make a donation, however small. This helps us develop the site and offer better services.

Advert

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mototrbo repeater security issues  (Read 6320 times)
emsgeorge
Forum Helper

FeedBack +101/-9

« on: September 05, 2009, 10:17:30 AM »

Having spoken at great length to a dealer about this ......

Some background:

On a conventional repeater, if someone breaks into the repeater (IE programs up a radio with correct freq and ctcss), then you are aware that they are there - IE you can hear them talking !.

A trbo digital handheld / mobile requires: freq, colour code (think same as tone), and group code. Colour code is 1 out of 15 colour codes. Group code is between 1 and something million.

A handheld CAN'T hear anything which doesn't match both colour code, and group code. (so if you were thinking about buying a trbo radio to listen into a scheme, you cant, unless you can guess the group code - you cant even use the 'monitor' button, it doesnt work in digital  mode).

Currently, the trbo repeaters only require freq and colour code to be programmed in. They will, in effect, 'pass' any data on the correct colour code and freq.

So, if I was so inclined - I could find a local trbo repeater, simply program the freq and colour code into it, and as long as my radios are a different group code to the legitimate users, I have got myself a free use of a repeater. Becasue the way the radios software works, the legitimate user can't monitor or hear my conversations, and wont even notice i'm hijacking his repeater.

Having done some digging - there is a piece of software that will reject users who aren't registered with the software. It requires a laptop / pc running connected to the repeater 24 hrs a day. It also costs 3500 per unit. I cant see anyone spending this sort of money for a one repeater system.

So beware anyone wanting to set up a trbo repeater - anyone with a trbo handheld, and a bit of knowledge, can have free use of your repeater.
Lowlofe
Semi-Professional

FeedBack +2/-0

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:36:09 PM »

Hey!
urm yeah about that software and pc required to monitor the repeaters "dealings" do you have a link to somewhere i can get hold of the software?
if i do have to buy it i may "take one for the team" and put it up here aswell!

regs alex
emsgeorge
Forum Helper

FeedBack +101/-9

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 09:09:17 PM »

There is a program called gw3-trbo. It is quite a good system by the looks - simply hook up to a portable or a mobile trbo radio.

I got a quote from them. It was 3k.

Im not buying it quite yet !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home    Forum | Downloads | About us | Services  | Products | Online Portal | Site Map | Contact Us

Copyright 2008-2010 Motorola Radio Support Group. All Rights Reserved.

Google PageRank