Home Page | Forum | Downloads | About us | Services | Products | Online Portal | Site Map | Contact Us

motorola
August 30, 2014, 06:34:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Contact Admin Team Search Login Register  

Radio Services

Supply Radios, Spare Parts, Programming Cables, Flash Adapters

Members area provides radio programming videos

If we have helped you, please make a donation, however small. This helps us develop the site and offer better services.

Advert

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Codeplug password recovery  (Read 5758 times)
will.a
Subscriber

FeedBack +0/-0

« on: August 08, 2012, 08:46:32 PM »

Hi Guys

Just bought some DP3400's but the seller has password protection on the codeplug

Please can anyone give me some advice on password recovery.

Thanks

Will

bw18
Advanced Member

FeedBack +63/-1

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:00:48 PM »

Hi Will,

I would go back to the seller and ask them for the password. As you have purchased them they are now yours, and he/she has no right to protect them- unless you are a user on their system... Shopwatch/pubwatch etc. If you have purchased the radio 'out-right' then you have every right to know the password, or they should remove the password for you.

If however you have purchased the radios to be part of a system the company will not give you the password as they wont want the codeplug info to be viewed.

Where did you purchase the radios from? Are they for personal use?

BW
JtB
Forum Helper

FeedBack +34/-0

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:27:44 PM »

The password protection just stops you from reading what's already configured in the codeplug, you can still overwrite the codeplug with your own configuration.

After navigating for many years using GPS and finally losing my natural homing instincts a wise old lady told me I was like a rooster that had forgotten how to fly.
will.a
Subscriber

FeedBack +0/-0

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »

Hi

Thanks for the response

How would i overwrite if on reading device i get the prompt for codeplug password, there are no other options avaliable in the cps.

Thanks

Will

bw18
Advanced Member

FeedBack +63/-1

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »

You need to use a blank/generic codeplug which you should find in your CPS (File>Open>Samples).

will.a
Subscriber

FeedBack +0/-0

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:08:22 PM »

I tried that already and get the error.

"unable to write serial number in archive and device must be the same, try clone device if applicable"
bw18
Advanced Member

FeedBack +63/-1

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:46:10 PM »

Click 'Clone' rather than write...
will.a
Subscriber

FeedBack +0/-0

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 11:13:04 AM »

I tried that aswell an get "unable to clone check that a device is connected with a compatible programming cable, model number must be the same and serial number must be different than archive

The only sample codeplug on the cps for a DP3400 is 136-174.000mhz

I have UHF.
emsgeorge
Forum Helper

FeedBack +81/-7

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 12:48:47 PM »

Edit, preferences, 'clone radio identity'.

Make sure the box is ticked.

And you will need a uhf one to clone from. Do you have none that you can read from, that aren't passworded ?

If its a fleabay purchase, be careful, as they may be stolen. Ive seen a fair few ones on there that appear to be 'lost' hire radios. (including ones where they have left the 2cl logos on them !).

If you cant get any, send me a message, and I will send you a uhf codeplug.

You will loose anything that was on the radio before it, but thats good - as you dont know what freq you are transmitting on !
will.a
Subscriber

FeedBack +0/-0

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »

Pm sent
JtB
Forum Helper

FeedBack +34/-0

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »

If you have the latest upgrade packages installed you can perform a device recovery and that will restore the codeplug back to its default state.

After navigating for many years using GPS and finally losing my natural homing instincts a wise old lady told me I was like a rooster that had forgotten how to fly.
emsgeorge
Forum Helper

FeedBack +81/-7

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 09:25:26 AM »

Problem sorted - when I finally sent Will the right codeplug ! (Dp, not dm!)

For future use for people finding this thread:

You can get rid of password protection. You just clone an existing codeplug, of the same model, over the passworded radio one. Make sure you tick the 'clone radio identity' box under preferences.

What you can't do, is bypass the password to see what the original codeplug was. (Which is quite interesting sometimes, to see how other engineers have programmed features in certain ways).

If you are buying kit off ebay - don't forget to flash it to the latest firmware. There are a few bugs out there, that might not manifest themselves till you really need the radios to work properly. If everything is at the same firmware, then you should be ok, and have the same version codeplugs, and the same options on the radios.

emsgeorge
Forum Helper

FeedBack +81/-7

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »

An update to a very old topic, as I have had to do un password a radio today:

If you don't need the programming, there is now an easier way to get rid of the password - simply go to device 'recover' in the cps. this will default your device to factory standard settings.

OR, if you need the information from the codeplug (or you are trying to add handsets to a dealer who has gone bust's system ....)

Use wireshark.

Start the cps, and start wireshark.

select the port the radio is connected to, and start wireshark recording / sniffing

read the radio, until it gets to the password input box.

go to wireshark and stop the recording

sift through the large data packet. it should be one of the last few sniffed if you stopped wireshark shortly after the password box came up

You are looking for a word or numbers with full stops in between - so a password of 'password' would be displayed in wireshark as p.a.s.s.w.o.r.d

its usually just before the radio name, so if you are reading a display radio, then its very easy, just look at the display when you turn it on, and look for that in the wireshark dump.

This was my first time doing this, and with a bit of paper and ten mins, password was found, and saved a lot of ball ache trying to re program some radios and a repeater etc. 
Batman
Basic Account

FeedBack +14/-0

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »

Just tried it… Mega useful ! Thanks George  Smiley
Massiveboost
Basic Account

FeedBack +2/-0

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 12:21:07 PM »

Yes nice work George, already used it Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home    Forum | Downloads | About us | Services  | Products | Online Portal | Site Map | Contact Us

© Copyright 2008-2010 Motorola Radio Support Group. All Rights Reserved.

Google PageRank